Monday, June 25, 2007

My big sister Barbara in happier times.



1954- May 11, 2007
Rest in the loving arms of the Lord.





May was a tough month.
As a boomer, I’ve long believed that there is a song for every occasion. Here are two.

Mary Chapin Carpenter: My Heaven

Nothing shatters nothing breaks
Nothing hurts and nothing aches
We got ourselves one helluva place
in my heaven.
No one's lost and no one's missing
No more partings just hugs and kissing
And all these stars are just for wishing, in my heaven.
There's neighbors, thieves and long lost lovers
villains, poets, kings and mothers
Up here we forgive each other, in my heaven.
For every soul that's down there waiting,holding on, still hesitating
We say a prayer of levitating, in my heaven.
You can look back on your life and lot
But it can't matter what you're not
By the time you're here, we're all we've got
In my heaven.

And Lyle Lovett: Last of the Family Reserve:
When I saw the ambulance screaming down Main Street
I didn’t give it a thought
It was my uncle Eugene
He died on October the second, nineteen eighty one

And there are more I remember
And more I could mention
Than I could ever write in a song
But I feel them watching
And I see them laughing
And I hear them singing along

And we’re all gonna be here forever
So mama don’t you make such a stir
Just put down that camera
And come on and join up
The last of the family reserve

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

In memory of Barbara; a prayer for {My Rove!}:

Thy sun shall no more go down neither shall thy moon withdraw itself; for the Lord shall be thine everlasting light, and the days of thy mourning shall be ended. Amen.

Carl in Jerusalem said...

Jim,

So sorry to hear. May God comfort your entire family and may you know of no more sorrow. Hug that little kid in the picture....

BabbaZee said...

{JIM}

Hebrew
Yit'gadal v'yit'kadash sh'mei raba (Cong: Amein).
May His great Name grow exalted and sanctified (`Cong: Amen.)
Hebrew
b'al'ma di v'ra khir'utei
in the world that He created as He willed.
Hebrew
v'yam'likh mal'khutei b'chayeikhon uv'yomeikhon
May He give reign to His kingship in your lifetimes and in your days,
Hebrew
uv'chayei d'khol beit yis'ra'eil
and in the lifetimes of the entire Family of Israel,
Hebrew
ba'agala uviz'man kariv v'im'ru:
swiftly and soon. Now say:
(Mourners and Congregation:)
Hebrew
Amein. Y'hei sh'mei raba m'varakh l'alam ul'al'mei al'maya
(Amen. May His great Name be blessed forever and ever.)
Hebrew
Yit'barakh v'yish'tabach v'yit'pa'ar v'yit'romam v'yit'nasei
Blessed, praised, glorified, exalted, extolled,
Hebrew
v'yit'hadar v'yit'aleh v'yit'halal sh'mei d'kud'sha
mighty, upraised, and lauded be the Name of the Holy One
(Mourners and Congregation:)
Hebrew
B'rikh hu.
Blessed is He.
Hebrew
l'eila min kol bir'khata v'shirara
beyond any blessing and song,
Hebrew
toosh'b'chatah v'nechematah, da'ameeran b'al'mah, v'eemru:
praise and consolation that are uttered in the world. Now say:
(Mourners and Congregation:)
Hebrew
Amein
Amen
Hebrew
Y'hei sh'lama raba min sh'maya
May there be abundant peace from Heaven
Hebrew
v'chayim aleinu v'al kol yis'ra'eil v'im'ru
and life upon us and upon all Israel. Now say:
(Mourners and Congregation:)
Hebrew
Amein
Amen
Hebrew
Oseh shalom bim'romav hu ya'aseh shalom
He Who makes peace in His heights, may He make peace,
Hebrew
aleinu v'al kol Yis'ra'eil v'im'ru
upon us and upon all Israel. Now say:
(Mourners and Congregation:)
Hebrew
Amein
Amen

BabbaZee said...

btw my favorite part about the mourners kaddish is there is no mourning in it

we mourn becasue we are selfishly missing our beloved lost

for that person it is all joy now, if they were righteous

and I am sure your sister was


we are not bodies with souls

we are souls with bodies

she lives.

L'CHAIM!